- Competitors enter at their own risk. Comdance accepts NO responsibility for any accidents or injury to any persons associated with the festival, either as a Competitor, Volunteer or a member of the General Public, at any time.
- Festival dates for 2021: The closing date of the entries will be 8th November 2021. ALL ENTRIES ARE TO BE ENTERED AND PAID FOR ON-LINE.
- Age of competitor will be taken as at 1st January in the current year. Winners may be asked to produce birth certificate before receiving trophies.
- The Festival is open to amateur & professional dancers.
- The Committee reserves the right to alter, amend, cancel or refuse any entry at any time or to cancel, combine or separate sections should the necessity arise.
- Entry fees are non refundable under any circumstances.
- The committee will not be held responsible for any infringement of copyright or royalty by individual performers or persons associated with the performance.
- If the festival is running early, it will not run any earlier than 1 hour ahead of time.
- The decision of the committee will be final on all matters.
- The Society will not accept responsibility for any properties left in the Theatre.
- Failure to comply with any of the rules and conditions may involve disqualification and withholding of prizes. The decision of the Committee in all questions and disputes arising out of or not provided for by these rules and regulations shall be final. All entries received are subject to this provision and shall not be subject to any appeal by law as being contrary to the spirit of friendly competition upon which this Festival is based.
General / Performance
- All competitors must appear in order or may be disqualified. This is at the organisor's discretion.
- No Competitor may appear more than once in any solo Section of that genre, in their own age group.
- We reserve the right to close online entries early if the section or competition sells out prior to closing date.
- Competitors must be backstage and advise the music operator of the appearance the section prior to their section. Refunds will not be given should a competitor miss their section.
- Competitors may appear more than once in a troupe where a studio has more than one troupe entered in a particular age group.
- No item may be repeated.
- Maximum or 3 solo entries per competitor can be entered.
- All dance sections (solos & troupes) must contain at least 80% dance
- Competitors may only appear in their own age group in solo sections.
- Troupe entries must include all names and dates of birth to be valid. The age of the troupe is governed by the eldest member.
- Song & tap / Tap troupes, all members must wear tap shoes.
- Song & Dance/Tap sections should have no vocal backing at all in any part of the routine. Routines should have 50% song 50% dance.
- Competitors must perform the work of a school whose name appears on the entry form and must have been receiving tuition from the present teacher he or she is entered under for at least a period of 3 months prior to commencement of these competitions.
- If a competitor commences an item and stops they may appear again at the end of the section (for a critique only).
- Music with tap sounds, not permitted in any tap dance (including Troupes).
- All competitors in solos and troupes must have a Competitors Pass in 2021 to gain entry.
- Please TYPE NAMES AND BIRTH DATES correctly when entering ON-LINE ENTRIES (very important).
- Competitor passes can be used for entry into the auditorium for all sessions.
TROUPE: is 5 or more competitors with a maximum of 30 on stage at any one time.
ANY AGE: these sections are for competitors of any age.
CLASSICAL: All classical sections must include classical music with no vocal.
DEMI-CHARACTER: must tell a story incorporating classical technique and mimed gestures. Can include a prop, hand held or placed on the stage. A variety of music can be used with variations in tempo.
LYRICAL: modern flowing movements based on Classical technique. Music normally has lyrics and the dance should show a connection with the music.
CONTEMPORARY: a more individualistic and expressive style which is not bound by rigid technique, and showing free fall and spirit.
NEO CLASSICAL: shows the musicality of the music, must include classical steps and ballet technique.
UP TEMPO MODERN JAZZ: an energetic rhythmic and stylish dance form.
BROADWAY JAZZ: routine must be from a musical or broadway show.
TAP: any style of Tap.
STREET TAP: suitable costuming, Downtown Street Style
ASPIRING PROFESSIONAL. This section is for those of 18 years or over or currently in full time or looking at full time course next year.
- No real flowers, foliage, fruit, vegetables, straw, cellophane or live flames are to be used or worn by competitors.
- No props or effects are to be set on the stage prior to the item.
- All stage props must be removed from backstage daily.
- No handheld props can be used in Classical Solo Sections.
- For Character or Demi Character sections, props are to be placed on stage by backstage helpers or competitors only, except for all 8 years and under sections.
- No loose glitter to be used.
- Solo props must not be left back stage. They must come in with the student, taken downstairs immediately after use, and taken home.
- Props cannot be thrown from the stage into the auditorium. Props may be thrown from stage to side stage, however prior approval from the Festival Organiser is required.
- Props to the backstage area only prior to the session they are required and then they should be removed on the completion of that session immediately.
- Please check all props for screws or nails as to not scratch the stage.
Adjudication, protests and disqualifications
- The adjudicator's decision is final. The Committee reserves the right to appoint a substitute adjudicator if deemed necessary.
- Protest against any competitor must be put in writing by the principal teacher to the "Protest Committee" within 1 hour after completion of a section with a fee of $40. If in the opinion of the "Protest Committee" a protest is deemed frivolous, the deposit is forfeited.
- The committee shall decide on any matter not covered by these rules and it's decision on any question or dispute shall be final.
- Any competitors, relative, or a teacher who approaches an adjudicator before the competitions may result in disqualification of the competitor.
- Adjudicators Award will be awarded at the discretion of the adjudicator to any performer of any age showing a passion and dedication to their performance/s.
- Honourable Mentions may be awarded in lieu of 2nd and 3rd placings. The prizes will be at the adjudicator's discretion.
- Results will be announced at the end of each Section and prizes will be awarded on stage immediately after the adjudication.
- The Society reserves the right to change the adjudicators for any reason whatsoever
Stage & Curtains
- No rehearsal allowed on stage at any time during the Festival.
- ONLY COMPETITORS AND TEACHERS are permitted backstage.
- No lighting effects to be used for any troupes, standard white wash will be supplied for all routines.
- All music will be required to be uploaded to Music uploads. Prior to the competition, an email will be sent with instructions on how to do this.
- Time limits will be rigidly enforced; entrants who exceed time limits receive a 5 point deduction from their score. The time of the item will be taken from the commencement of music or dialogue or from first movement of body, legs or arms, until the competitor leaves the stage or the fall of the curtain.
- Copyright laws must be adhered to at all times. Entrants must be aware of their copyright responsibilities. Comdance is in no way responsible for a personal breach of copyright.
Dressing Room Area and Foyer Area
- Each studio will be allocated a dressing room space. Please check room allocation at admin desk.
- Teachers are responsible for noise levels in dressing area. This area is to be kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Please take all rubbish and water bottles on leaving your dressing area...rubbish bins are supplied.
- There will be a $100 cleaning fee charged to any studio who leaves their room in a unacceptable state.
Where additional cleaning charges are imposed by Venues, these charges will be passed on to the applicable schools or competitors.
- Tap shoes are not to be worn in the changing rooms or the main foyer areas. This may result in disqualification.
- All COVID safe policies and Government Health Department directives must be followed.
- In the event that a competition is cancelled due to lockdown, we will offer refunds for nay sections entered. Competitors registration fees, online fees and PayPal fees are non refundable. Refunds will only be offered if the event is cancelled. If you choose not to attend the competition you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Be safe and come prepared
- Each Studio (entered in troupes) MUST provided their own first aid person, ice, and first aid kit. Comdance staff and volunteers are not responsible for providing any first aid equipment or ice/heat packs.
- Mobile phones must be turned off in the auditorium, not just turned to silent.
- Due to copyright, the recording of any performances is prohibited within the theatre (this includes mobile phone cameras).
- Forbidden use of recording devices of any kind will result in confiscation.
- Etiquette must be maintained throughout sections.
- No children are allowed unaccompanied in the front 2 rows of the theatre.
- Sportsman like behaviour is to be maintained throughout the competitions.
- No one shall be permitted to enter or leave the auditorium during a performance
- We request that all studios kindly provide a responsible adult to volunteer.
Photographer and Videographer
- An official video & photographer will be available at the Festival.
- Professional Photography Service: all persons accept that, by participating in this Festival, they will be photographed or filmed and that these images may be used by Comdance for promotion of the Society. Please be aware that the official photographer and videographer, may use images to promote their Service at the Festival.
- Participants acknowledge that Comdance - Home of CSTD and other third parties authorised by Comdance may make, create, store, record, transmit, reproduce, or use any sound recording, visual footage, audio-visual footage (Recordings) or photographic image (Images) or any likeness at or in relation to a Comdance event. Each Participant grants Comdance - Home of CSTD and third parties authorised by Comdance a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free licence to use Recordings or images. or other images or likenesses of the participant (including sound recording), in any media worldwide and for any purpose (including for commercial and advertisement purposes), without identification, compensation, or a payment of any kind.
Sponsorship is so important for the running of the competition and is a tangible way to support the students competing and the Performing Arts Industry. If you know of any business or individual who would be interested in Sponsorships, please either enter online or email email@example.com for more options.
Advertising space is available in both the PROGRAMME and ONLINE. Exposure is widespread throughout the registration website. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you be interested in acquiring advertising space.